Thursday, March 10, 2011

Talking to God

Hi there! My name is Sherry Kyle and I’m the author of The Christian Girl’s Guide to Style. I love to journal letters to God. In fact, I still have books filled with prayers I wrote a long time ago. It’s fun to read through them and see how God answered each prayer.

Do you talk with God? I’m not asking about a quick blessing before a meal or a speedy prayer before bed, but instead a running conversation throughout your day.  

I Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

Praying continually doesn’t mean we should have our heads bowed all the time. Otherwise, how would we eat breakfast, go to school, or play our favorite sport?

Praying continually does mean that we include God in every aspect of our lives, to think of Him during our day, and to come to Him with our requests.

In The Christian Girl’s Guide to Style, I have a section in each chapter where the main character writes a letter to God.

Here’s an example of what a letter might look like: 

Hi God,

Today was the worst day of my life! I missed my bus, forgot my lunch, and got a D on my math test. And to top it off, my best friend is mad at me. Sarah ignored me at recess and ran off with Chloe. It really hurt my feelings.

After I got home from school, I sat under the tree in my backyard and thought about what would make Sarah so mad. Then it hit me! My teacher wanted us to pair up to work on an assignment. I asked Jessica to be my partner since she sits right next me. I don’t think Sarah liked that. Do we have to do everything together? But then I thought about how I felt when she ran off at recess. It’s nice to have a best friend.

I know YOU are my best friend too. I can always count on you to help me through the day. The Bible says you will never leave me.

Think I’ll call Sarah now. I want her to know that it’s okay if we hang out with other people even though we’re best friends. Thanks for listening!

Love,
Me

Have you ever written a letter to God? Try it! It’s fun and helps us grow closer to our Heavenly Father.

Have a GREAT day!
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment