In California a few years ago a shopping mall and the military held a big celebration where kids could go on helicopters, boats, and planes. This Saturday I will attend a picnic at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. From coast to coast we can celebrate!
This is a day to thank men and women who serve our country in the military. Many military bases will hold open houses and programs where you can take a tour or greet service personnel.
You can honor these people:
- Wear red, white, and blue
- Display the American flag
- Write a letter to someone in the military
- Pray for our men and women who are in battle areas
- Visit a historic park where battles were fought. While there, pick up liter or donate money to help preserve the park.
- Sing patriotic songs (Yankee Doodle, Battle Hymn of the Republic, America, God Bless America, The Star Spangled Banner)
- Thank people in your family who served our country
- Pray for peace